Real Relationship Advice
We use a lot of words incorrectly. We use peruse to say that we browsed something and ironic as if it were coincidental. The most misused word is the arena of relaxation is meditation. Meditation is a mental practice that is used for the sole purpose of opening the mind and finding a peaceful consciousness. However, the Western World uses the term to suggest that it is a means by which to contemplate on a subject or term. We say things like, ‘I need to meditate on that’ when we really mean think about it.
One of the most taught meditations is Transcendental Meditations. I have practiced this for the last 7 years. The practice is simply to allow you to experience a silence and an awareness of pure thoughts. In Transcendental Meditation we focus on a Sanskrit word or mantra. TM takes no special skills or even incredible mind control in the very beginning. You simply practice this for 15 to 20 minutes daily and you will see a dramatic decrease in your levels of stress. Also, for us creative types, TM is a great way to find inspiration simply by quieting all our extraneous thoughts. Granted, you do not contemplate clarity. It comes to you.
Here is the quick and dirty directions to Transcendental Meditation:
1. Find a comfortable place where you will not be disturbed for at least 20 minutes.
2. Turn off your cell phones and any other distractions.
3. Sit with your feet on the ground and hands held loosely in your lap.
4. You can attempt a simple lotus position but that limits how, when and where you can practice.
5. Pick a mantra which to repeat. Mantras are sounds or words that vibrate and can create change. The following is a teeny list of common mantras and their meanings:
- Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna, Krishna, Hare, Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama, Rama, Hare Hare = Worship Krishna, Worship Rama (To be clear, Hinduism believes in One God with many aspects. Krishna and Rama are just sides of God. Krishna is the beauty and Ecstasy of God while Rama is God’s perfection and ideal. Hare is the extreme pleasure of the Lord.)
- Om Namah Shivaya= This mantra has many meanings including being the 5 elements and relating to the first 5 chakras.
- Om Gam Ganapataye Namaha= I placed this one in the list because I have been saying it a lot recently. The mantra is an homage to Lord Ganesh (The Elephant God). He is the remover of all obstacles. When we begin to mantra, this is a great way to start so we get out of our own way.
- Om Sri Ram, Jaya Ram, Jaya Jaya Ram= This is the mantra I have chanted for years. I even had it tattooed on me to remind me that this is where my center is. Simply, this mantra reminds you that God is victorious.
- Eknath Easwaren, a brilliant philosopher, spiritual thinker and incredible human being, suggests that any word that resonates with you spiritually can work like Jesus, Earth, Yahweh, Love.
6. All you need to do is close your eyes and repeat the mantra for 15 to 20 minutes. The first few times may be weird and you may think that the time is up long before it really is. Time tends to dilate in meditation so what you believe is an hour is really 10 minutes.
To be clear, this is not an attempt to convert or change anyone’s belief system. Expanding your mind and becoming centered in pure thought is a practice and religion or belief system can handle.
Finding your gooey center is a path worth taking.