3 years ago we moved to the mountains of Southern California to live a healthier lifestyle. In the mountains, we spend more time outside, take long walks and hikes and plan adventures a few times a month. Part of living a healthier life is keeping as many toxins outside of our home. This sounds easy but there are so many innocuous things out there that are toxic. Here are some of the things we have outlawed in our home:
1. Air Fresheners: Seriously, they may make the house smell nice but the amount of toxins they have is not worth it. 14 of the bestselling air fresheners have phthalates and volatile organic compounds.
- What we use instead: If we want to freshen up the smell of our home, we take orange peel, cloves and a cup of water and let it simmer on the stove. It smells great and is not toxic. Also, nothing smells better than opening the doors and letting the Pine Trees freshen up our home.
2. Creams and Lotions: Living in the mountains is beautiful but awfully dry. We all have to use lotion on a daily basis to protect our skin. However, most lotions are chock full of chemicals and toxins that are less than healthy.
- What we use instead: We go to our favorite healthier stores and pick up the gallon jugs of toxin free lotion. You save on packaging and the lotions tend to work better than those that are loaded with carcinogens and toxicants.
3. Carpet Cleaners: We have two boys and two dogs and a house filled with carpet. Keeping the carpet clean is the crucial if we want a clean home. The majority of carpet cleaners out there are have ammonium hydroxide which pretty much means you should never lay on the floor and should probably learn to levitate.
- What we use instead: If you would have asked us a few weeks ago, we would have told you how we use baking soda to pick up those nasty odors but that does very little for the stains. Now, we have experienced the results of having Zerorez clean our carpets.
Zerorez cleaned our carpets this week and the stains are gone and the house smells amazing. The best part of having them clean our carpets is feeling 100% comfortable with letting the boys sit on the carpet again. Zerorez actually uses water to clean. The water is a patented high pH water solution that is so pure the technicians will drink it right in front of you.
Paul was suspicious so he drank it himself. No chemicals. No soups or solvents.
And it cleans very well.
Zerorez will also do the following:
Carpet Cleaning (great on berber!)
Area rug cleaning (incl wool, silk, cotton, Persians)
Tile and grout cleaning and resealing
Natural stone cleaning (marble, travertine, etc.)
Hardwood clean and buff
Air Ducts and Furnace cleaning
Pet urine removal
Linoleum and vinyl tile cleaning
Counter top cleaning
Leather furniture cleaning
Patio decks, garage floors, walkways
Autos, boats, and motorhomes cleaning
Carpet stretch and repair
Commercial facility cleaning
These guys make keeping your home safer from toxins much easier.
You can find them at www.facebook.com/OfficialZerorezSocal and follow them on Twitter.
We participated in a campaign on behalf of Mamavation for Zerorez. We received promotional item to thank us for our participation. All opinions are our own.